Wednesday, September 16, 2009

THIS IS GAMERRR!

GAMER: THE REVIEW


Once upon a time, there was this convict who tried to get out of jail and agreed to be part of a real life massively multi-player online game called Slayers. This was no ordinary game, it was a game about life and death. The players control the convicts in a killing spree. A high ping would result in the death of one human life. Think twice. Are you really ready to be in a video game? Okay, perhaps Hollywood might be running out of nice movies recently and they finally took out their trump card to win back the audience. Of course, this trump card is no other than Gerard Butler as Kable in the latest movie, Gamer. Yeah, my exams was coming and yet, I have time to chillax and waste my time watching movies in the cinema. Okay, back to topic, the world was taken aback after the introduction of Ragnarok Online, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Then, there comes World of Warcraft which is a hit in certain areas. And now, we present, Gamer.

When I first walked in to the cinema, I was reading the synopsis of every movies just next to the entrance. And the first thing which caught my attention was of course, Gamer. Maybe it's my addiction towards games that got me interested in this show. After the whole long process of waiting for the right time, get the popcorns and the movie tickets and finally enter the room. The first thing I noticed was the people around me. There were barely anyone. So, I thought, maybe it doesn't suck but maybe those people are busy with the preparation for breaking fast. The movie started off with a nice action scene from the game itself with blasts and blood and dirt all over. I was taken aback by the action scenes showing people fighting professionally like soldiers in a sci-fi battle field. Only to find them as real humans and not avatars at all.

As the movie progresses, my expectation for the movie is this is so going to rock the house. Maybe with some cool lines like, "TONIGHT WE DIE IN SLAYERS!" or maybe "THIS IS GAMERR!" However, it doesn't seem so. Perhaps, the script writers have been too lazy to continue the story and give it a terrible ending. When I mean "terrible ending", it means a really crude, lazy and unfinished work. Some parts of the story are rip-offs from Death Race. I'm not spoiling anything here, you have to watch it to find out yourself. Though the story wasn't good enough, I can never be disappointed in the whole show. Kudos to the pyrotechnics team for a great work with the explosions. However, the actors aren't performing their best. Gerard Butler lacked the macho-ness from 300 and the villain is a weak-willed psychopath who tries to cover his own a** by mind controlling someone to murder only to end up killed by his weak-willed self. Overall, the movie was a disaster set for a million parodies in the future. Perhaps, someone might start making a 300/Gamer parody right now. Ratings based on all points, character and storyline greatly pulls down the score for this show. Kudos to CG and pyrotechnics again for an amazing job to make this movie good enough to be above my "THIS MOVIE SUCKS" rating. It didn't went all that bad as Postal the movie. ( personal rating: 4/10)

1 comment: